Subject: Re: fsck --full is Ok, but clones are not, "missing commits"?!

From: Johannes Sixt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 05 May 2008 17:12:20 +0200

Brian Foster schrieb:
>  What I don't know is the root-cause, that is, WHY
>  this was done.  It wasn't a disc-space issue, and
>  I've no evidence it was a network-bandwidth issue,
>  but there is some anecdotal evidence it was some
>  sort of a CPU-cycles issue, albeit just what the
>  performance hit was is unknown.

How about this theory:

What happens if you fire up gitk as simple as

   $ gitk

in the history if no grafts are present? Some months ago this took ages to
complete, and even today you get a *huge* list of commits in a *short*
window; hence, the scrollbar thumb is tiny, and if you succeed to get hold
of it without a magnifying glass, it scrolls way more than a page of
commits if you move it by only one pixel.

No wonder that $user wants to have a shorter history. So $user, being
smart, truncates the history at a suitable point with a graft.

-- Hannes