Subject: Re: fsck --full is Ok, but clones are not, "missing commits"?!

From: Johannes Sixt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 May 2008 14:17:27 +0200

Brian FOSTER schrieb:
> Johannes Sixt kindly replied:
>> [ ... ]
>> For me, the unusable [ `gitk' ] scrollbar alone would be reason enough
>> to truncate the history.
>> [ ... ]  I have gitk running all the time.  So, yes, it is "important."
>> But I run it basically as 'gitk --all --not origin' and press F5 frequently.
>> With this set of arguments the scrollbar remains usable, and performance
>> is not an issue, even on Windows.
> 
> Hannes,
> 
>  May I ask why you are running `gitk' all the time?
>  Is this on some sort of a Linux kernel repository or something else?

Something else (~9000 commits, most of them imported from CVS).

I have gitk running all the time because I want a quick way to see "where
I am". That I get by pressing F5 (instead of typing in a longish command
to fire up gitk) and the mentioned argument list.

Also, quite a lot of the work I do is to polish a topic branch using 'git
rebase -i'. By browsing through the commits, I quickly get an overview
whether the branch is fine or needs more work.

>  Am I correct in interpreting `--all --not origin' as meaning "every
>  branch except those in origin/*" (i.e., all branches except the
>  remote-tracking ones)?

Not quite. It means the same as for 'git log': The commits from all
branches *but not* the commits from branch 'origin' (which is an alias for
origin/master, in my case, that's what is "published"). This is my way to
reduce the number of commits that are displayed and it amounts to ~300
commits.

-- Hannes