Subject: Re: Verilog/ASIC development support is insufficient in git , help!

From: Justin Leung <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 May 2008 11:45:31 -0700

Thanks Kevin,

   I think i better give svn another serious look . 

but then, my impression from the rest of the people is that p4 and svn 
are not the ultimate tools for hardware development either .

I guess we just do not have the perfect tool for asic dev yet .

 Justin

Kevin Ballard wrote:
> But they come at an expense - no more linear revision numbers, more 
> complex commands, etc. You can't have it both ways.
>
> You could always use a main SVN repo and then use git-svn to maintain 
> your own private git repos, do all the code syncing you want there, 
> and then push it back to SVN when you want to send it back to the main 
> build stream. If you go this route, be careful to maintain a linear 
> history on the branch that tracks the SVN repo, as SVN cannot handle 
> merges the way git can. You'll want to either do rebasing or squashed 
> merges (to avoid multiple parents).
>
> -Kevin Ballard