Subject: Re: [PATCH 2/7] add push line in git-clone

From: Paolo Bonzini <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 May 2008 21:07:00 +0200

Junio C Hamano wrote:
> Paolo Bonzini <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
>> Paolo Bonzini wrote:
>>>> Used together with [1/7], this change is Ok in a homogeneous environment,
>>>> but it would break people who use git of different vintage on the same
>>>> repository (think of a repository on a networked filesystem).  You clone
>>>> like this, and older git won't grok the push configuration anymore.
>>>>
>>>> It may look a very minor point, but I think it deserves mentioning.
>>>
>>> I think it is reasonable to require cloning with the
>>> least-common-denominator version in this case.  Think of what
>>> happened if the pack format changed.
>> Any news on this (and on 1/7, which is in pu)?
> 
> The pack-format change is a big deal and benefit everybody.  Comparing it
> with this change feels like comparing an apple and a poppy seed, doesn't
> it?

Yes, but it is the same.  Another example is when remotes started being 
created in refs/remotes/origin upon cloning.  In general, you cannot 
expect a clone to be downwards-compatible (or, you should expect a clone 
*not* to be downwards-compatible).

Paolo