Subject: Gitweb caching: Google Summer of Code project

From: Lea Wiemann <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 May 2008 20:03:43 +0200

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to let everyone know that I'm currently getting started on 
a Google Summer of Code project to improve the caching mechanism in gitweb.

Sorry for not posting about this earlier...  Anyways, some key data: 
John 'warthog9' Hawley (who wrote the current caching system for 
kernel.org) is my mentor, and GSoC is from May 26 to Aug 18, minus a 
vacation from Jul 19 to Aug 9.

While I'm planning to keep much of it on the list, if anyone else is 
particularly interested in helping or providing input, please notify me. 
  (Looking at the logs, Jakub maybe?  Cc'ing him just in case.)

The current plan is basically to get the gitweb caching fork that's been 
implemented for kernel.org back to the gitweb mainline, and then 
optimize it (probably move to memcached).  I'm not yet sure how to 
approach this (e.g. whether to merge from the fork to the mainline or 
vice versa), but I'll probably figure this out together with John and 
might post separately about that later.  In any case, expect patches and 
messages from me on the list. :)

I'm lea_w (or lea_1) on #git on Freenode, if anyone wants to contact me 
in real time (provided my Pidgin doesn't hiccup).

Best,

     Lea