Subject: Re: Gitweb caching: Google Summer of Code project

From: Lea Wiemann <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 May 2008 09:24:36 +0200

Jakub Narebski wrote:
> you cannot assume that memcached API is installed, so
> you have to provide some kind of fallback.

That fallback would be to have no caching. :)  I think that's acceptable 
-- I'm not too willing to implement caching for two API's. 
(Incidentally, memcached takes two shell commands to install and get 
running on my machine; I think that's acceptably easy.)

> What's more, if you want to implement If-Modified-Since and
> If-None-Match, you would have to implement it by yourself, while
> for static pages (cahing HTML output) web server would do this
> for us "for free".

Are web servers doing anything that we can't easily reimplement in a few 
lines (and, on top of that, more easily tailored to different actions, 
projects, etc.)?

> By the way what do you think about adding (as an option) information
> about gitweb performance to the [HTML] output,

Definitely a good idea!

> I hope you have some ideas in gitweb access statistics from kernel.org,

I'm waiting for John to give me SSH access and/or send them my way. :)

> and you plan on benchamrking gitweb caching using [snip]

Absolutely -- thanks for the suggestions!

-- Lea