Subject: Re: perl/Git.pm: Writing a test suite

From: Lea Wiemann <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 May 2008 15:44:11 +0200

Petr Baudis wrote:
> Lea Wiemann wrote:
>> it would seem sensible to me to create mock output for the external calls
> 
>  I think this is bad idea; you should test not just Git.pm
> functionality, but equally importantly also its integration with
> (current version of) Git.

Good point.  So I'll work on test repositories with real calls to Git 
where possible.

>   There are two possible ways, either using the Git test suite
> infrastructure, or the Perl test suite infrastructure.

I'd definitely want to use Perl's testing infrastructure, but probably 
it's sensible to use both Git's and Perl's infrastructure (e.g. call the 
Git.pm perl tests from the Git test suite shell scripts, and maybe have 
setup code in the shell scripts).  Here are two questions:

1. Is it OK for the Git.pm tests to be called from the Git test scripts 
but generate different-looking output (since the tests are run in Perl)?

2. I might need external test helpers from CPAN at some point.  Is that 
a bad idea because of dependencies, or are we OK with having additional 
dependencies for running the test suite if necessary?

-- Lea