Subject: Re: Gitweb caching: Google Summer of Code project

From: Lea Wiemann <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 May 2008 17:27:59 +0200

Petr Baudis wrote:
> please make [memcached] optional.

Oh, absolutely.  I was definitely planning to keep Gitweb runnable 
without having Cache::Memcached installed.

> print "<p>This page took ".tv_interval($t0, [gettimeofday])."s to generate.</p>";

Sure -- I'm not sure how useful bare timings are, though.  When I look 
at individual pages, the page cache is usually warm anyway, so the only 
thing I might be interested in is advanced statistics like the number of 
calls to git or number of cache hits/misses.  To find out how the cache 
performs timing-wise, you'll have to do larger benchmarks, individual 
page generation times won't help that much.

> I wonder what oldest Perl versions do we aim to support?

I'm thinking about 5.8 or 5.10.  Looking at Debian, Perl 5.10 is not in 
stable (etch), but it's in lenny, which is planned to become stable in 
Sept. 08.  So by the time the updated Gitweb/Git.pm has stabilized (and 
shows up as a package in Debian), Perl 5.10 will definitely be available 
widely enough.

-- Lea