Subject: Re: Gitweb caching: Google Summer of Code project

From: Lea Wiemann <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 May 2008 23:32:55 +0200

Junio C Hamano wrote:
> Right now, these "use Git": git-add--interactive.perl
> git-cvsexportcommit.perl git-send-email.perl git-svn.perl
> 
> Introducing 5.8 dependency to Git.pm in such a way that
> "use Git" from these fail might make these people somewhat unhappy.

Git seems to generally work with Perl 5.6 after installing Scalar::Util 
through CPAN.  I'm happy with (sporadically) testing it with 5.6.2, 
though I don't have any older version installed.  Also, if at some point 
Perl 5.6 compatibility gets in the way (due to lack of Unicode support), 
we'll have to revisit this issue, but for now that should be fine.

Gitweb relies on Unicode support (e.g. "use Encode") and will continue 
to be compatible with 5.8 and 5.10 only.

I'm not sure how much changes between Perl's micro versions.  Should we 
boldly claim "use 5.6.0" or only "use 5.6.2"?  Are people still using 
versions 5.6.0/1 at all?  And for Gitweb, use 5.8.0, or use 5.8.8 (which 
is the version I'm testing with, currently)?  Or should I downgrade?

-- Lea