Subject: Re: [PATCH v2] gitweb: use Git.pm, and use its parse_rev method for git_get_head_hash

From: Lea Wiemann <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 01 Jun 2008 17:44:49 +0200

Junio C Hamano wrote:
> With this on top of your parse_rev patch (I used v2 but I do not think v3
> changes the situation in any way), you seem to have broken t9500.
> 
> [...] I suspect that you are not using your own Git in the build tree in
> your test, but an already installed one.

That was indeed the case, thanks for pointing it out!

However, after applying my two patches and your patch on a pristine 
current git.git clone, I still don't get an error, even though the 
Gitweb test uses the new Git.pm (which I tested it does).  Care to send 
me your error message so I can track it down, or even upload your 
complete tree somewhere?  Feel free to reply off-list or ping me on IRC.

> +++ b/t/t9500-gitweb-standalone-no-errors.sh
>  
> +	PERL5LIB=$(pwd)/../../perl/blib/lib

How about putting this into test-lib.sh?  There are more tests (like my 
new Git.pm test suite) that will need it, so setting it up in a central 
place would probably more convenient and prevent future problems of this 
sort.

If PERL5LIB already contains paths, can we just discard them, or should 
we preserve them?

Since perl/Makefile only copies Git.pm to blib/lib/Git.pm, we could also 
set the path to ../../perl, which would prevent us from accidentally 
running tests against an old version of Git.pm (because we haven't run 
cd perl; make before).  And perhaps add a comment to perl/Makefile about 
this, in case someone wants to change the build process in the future. 
Or is there some reason why this would be a bad idea?

-- Lea