Subject: Re: [PATCH] make commit --interactive lock index

From: Paolo Bonzini <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 02 Jun 2008 15:52:11 +0200

> If your change were so that "git commit --interactive" reverts the index
> when one of the hooks exited non-zero just like COMMIT_NORMAL case (as
> opposed to the current code which does not revert the index), I would
> understand the need to change what's inside "if (interactive)" block.

So why does the COMMIT_AS_IS path need to lock?  The comment is not clear:

          * The caller should run hooks on the real index, and run
          * hooks on the real index, and create commit from the_index.
          * We still need to refresh the index here.

It seems to me that the lock+refresh+write+commit done by plain "git 
commit" is useless too, since it also runs in the case "pathspec && 
*pathspec".

I guess the patch should be withdrawn, and so I didn't want to follow up 
anymore, but the weird comment made me change my mind...

(The other patch I sent -- which is at 
http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.version-control.git/83209 -- is 
not withdrawn and not related to this one).

Paolo