Subject: Re: Mercurial vs Updated git HOWTO for kernel hackers

From: "Sean" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2005 18:59:28 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, June 28, 2005 6:49 pm, Matt Mackall said:

> Again, have fun with that. Mercurial already went down this path a
> month ago, discovered it couldn't reasonably be fixed without
> abandoning the hashes as file name scheme, and changed repo layout.
>
> Git's going to have a much harder time as it's pretty solidly tied to
> lookup by contents hash. If you throw that out, you might as well use
> Mercurial.
>

By the sounds of it, git could just use Mecurial or some variation thereof
as a back end.  Git is not tied to it's back end.   Afterall, Mecurial
just took the basic ideas from Linus' and adapted them to a different back
end.  But there are very few situation where Git performance is a
practical problem, and where it is things are being addressed.   Git is
already so much better for the things I do than BK ever was, I'll stick
with it.

Sean.