Subject: Re: [PATCH] use natural ordering to display list of branches.

From: Marius Storm-Olsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 05 Jun 2008 22:36:18 +0200

Cedric Vivier said the following on 05.06.2008 22:08:
> On Thu, Jun 5, 2008 at 8:47 PM, Johannes Schindelin 
> <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> What about people preferring the status quo?  I think a command
>> line option would be in order.
> 
> Is there really people preferring the status quo ? ;) Of course we
> probably need some debate about making it default or not but you're
> completely right there should be an option about that - and maybe a
> config variable as well? How about
> --sort=ascending|descending|natural (with branch.sort as the 
> corresponding config var) ?

IMO, we now need to step back, and start considering the ever 
expanding complexity of all the Git command line options. Is there 
_really_ a need for a command line option to control this? Will people 
_really_, for that _one_ invocation change the order of file listing? 
Or, will they simply prefer one particular order, set it, and forget it?

We really need to analyze the use-cases, and do everything we can to 
avoid confusing clutter.

IMO this feature falls into the "configuration-variable, but not 
command-line option" category. (People who _really_ want a different 
order, for that _one_ invocation, are most probable also in the group 
that can write their own little 3-line script to do this.)

Just my 10NOK..

--
.marius