Subject: Re: [PATCH] use natural ordering to display list of branches.

From: Paolo Bonzini <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 06 Jun 2008 21:03:51 +0200

Sverre Rabbelier wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 6, 2008 at 8:11 PM, Johannes Schindelin
> <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> Except, of course, if you have a script that wants to override whatever
>> the user set in her config.
> 
> I think this is why stuff like GDB has both a CLI and a MI. In order
> to keep the CLI clean you have to make choices, similar to how we
> already separate plumbing from porcelain. I guess in that sense our MI
> is the plumbing, and the porcelain is our CLI. Of course, in that case
> there needn't be such an option in the porcelain, as long as there is
> one in the plumbing ;).
> Conclusion, go for the config option but make sure there's a switch
> for scripts in the plumbing?

Or do the natural sorting only in the porcelain, even if that means 
sorting twice, and use a config option in the porcelain?

(Now, "git branch" is porcelain isn't it?  Plumbing is git-for-each-ref, 
and it has sorting options).

Paolo