Subject: remote show/prune: strange -n(--dry-run) option.

From: Olivier Marin <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 08 Jun 2008 02:54:43 +0200

Hello,

The git-remote documentation talks about a mysterious -n option for show
and prune that comes from the old git-remote.perl script. This flag was
used to prevent the script from calling ls-remote more than once, FWIU.
Today, the builtin accept an (un)?related -n(--dry-run) flag that does
nothing, actually. It seems broken.

So, is it safe to drop it entirely or is it better to just remove it
from the documentation for compatibility? In the second case, how long
should we wait before using --dry-run for something different?

I would like to make "git remote prune" more verbose and use --dry-run
to really prevent it from deleting stale tracking branches.

$ git remote prune origin -n
Pruning origin
From: git://.../myproject.git
  * [stale branch]    bla
  * [stale branch]    bli
  * [stale branch]    blu

What about something like that ?

Olivier.