Subject: Re: [PATCH] provide a new "theirs" strategy, useful for rebase --onto

From: Paolo Bonzini <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 08 Jun 2008 04:54:13 +0200

> Because original E' was an amend of E, its log message explained
> everything E did and more.  You cannot leave that same commit message in
> E''.  What you did in E was already explained in the history, so now you
> would want to talk about the incremental change on top of it when you
> desribe E''.  For that, replaying of E' must stop to allow you to fix up
> the log message. 

Yes, I had suggested in the original thread to follow up with a "git 
rebase -i" to fix the commit message, because "git-rebase--interactive 
--help" did not show a -s option.  However, I found out that it does 
support it, so it is probably better to use "git rebase -i -s theirs 
--onto ..." directly.

> Yes, you may want an easy way to say "the result should have the same tree
> as E'" while replaying of E' on top of E _when_ you have to resolve the
> conflict.  But that is a separate issue ("git checkout $other_head --
> $conflicted_paths", or somesuch).  Using this in rebase is a horrible
> example inviting misuse and a broken history, I think.

You mean that I should a) drop the example from git-rebase.1, b) reword 
it to clarify it, c) drop the patch completely?

Paolo