Subject: Re: [PATCH v3] git-add--interactive: manual hunk editing mode

From: Andreas Ericsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2008 13:19:07 +0200

Jeff King wrote:
> 
> The main problem I see at this point is that it screws up the line
> numbering for _every other hunk_, so later hunks in that file might not
> apply (IIRC, we usually save up all of the "yes" hunks and apply at the
> end). So it might be needed to do a --recount --check, and then actually
> apply at the end.
> 

I for one would really hate if the apply-at-the-end approach currently
used would be swapped around to "apply-as-we-go", because I sometimes
realize I'm committing a feature on top of a bugfix I've forgotten to
commit (or some such). I know I'd forget quite a few times to revert
the added changes after Ctrl-C'ing out of such cases if the current
approach is changed.

I know that wasn't what was proposed but at least anyone who
proposes it will at least think twice now before doing so, and
hopefully providing a SIGHUP hook to restore the index+worktree
to exactly what they were at the start of the interactive session.

-- 
Andreas Ericsson                   [email-masked]
OP5 AB                             www.op5.se
Tel: +46 8-230225                  Fax: +46 8-230231