Subject: Re: [PATCH 2/2] git-gc: skip stashes when expiring reflogs

From: Olivier Marin <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2008 19:31:00 +0200

Sverre Rabbelier a écrit :
> 
>  OTOH: I dislike the idea of 'forcing' the users to go through their
> stashes lest they lose their work. I don't see why anybody would want
> to do some work, stash it, and then "for no apparent reason" (the
> reason being not touching it for some time) lose it later.

I agree. And even without that:

> What if
> their system borks up and gives a wrong value as current time (say, 10
> years in the future), all of a sudden their stashes are gone, and they
> might not even find out till it was too late. Sure, they'd lose some
> stale objects too, but that I can live with, those they did not ask
> git to take care of explicitly!

it seems pretty strange to ask the user for a confirmation: are you sure
you want to keep what you ask us to store in the stash?

> The per-branch stashes sounds very nice, especially if you can get a
> 'git stash list --all' feature, that shows all stashes, regardless of
> what branch they are on. I myself would use such a per-branch feature
> most of the time, it would be nice to have a config option that
> defaults to that (making 'git stash' create a per-branch stash by
> default that is).

I think the same and would prefer per-branch stash by default because I
don't see a real use of a "global" one but maybe I'm wrong. Perhaps, a
config option could make everyone happy. :-)

Olivier.