Subject: Re: [EGIT RFC] Commit behaviour

From: Marek Zawirski <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2008 00:07:59 +0200

Robin Rosenberg wrote:
> I got annoyed about having change my selection to a project to be able
> to commit. This tentative feature allows me to hit the commit button
> when any resource is selected and figure out which resources have been
> modified. This makes it much easier to commit. Only the toolbar commit
> is affected for now.

That's a nice idea! I also thought about that one day, as such feature 
already exists in (e.g.) Subclipse that I was used to.

> 
> Another twist would be to list all changed resources, but only enable
> the selected ones, or only the ones in in the same projects as the selected
> resources. Comments?

I think that only selected && changed ones should be listed. When user 
selects explicitly some resources, he/she is probably interested only in 
these ones. And he/she probably did it for easier selection than from 
list of all changed resources, isn't it?

> Code is not efficient either. This is question about the user interface.

Theses patches don't work for me however :/ When I introduce some change 
to a resource/file, even add it to index and click commit (toolbar or 
menu), commit action does nothing. It is - nothing happens. Can you 
reproduce this problem, or should I debug it on my instance? Or do I use 
it in some wrong way?

> Then we could ask ourselved, should we do something similar for Checkout
> and reset too? I think that is not as important as those operations are
> much less frequent.
> 
> -- robin

Well, I think that checkout (maybe reset too) would be useful too - to 
revert some file quickly.

-- 
Marek Zawirski [zawir]
[email-masked]