Subject: Re: [PATCH] gitweb: return correct HTTP status codes

From: Lea Wiemann <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2008 00:28:03 +0200

Jakub Narebski wrote:
> But that means checking arguments in the "fast path", which means
> additional calls to git commands in the _common_ case, not only in
> the case of errors.

No, it doesn't, it just pipes stuff into cat-file --batch-check, which 
has to be opened on virtually any call to gitweb.  Before telling me 
about the performance of my code, can you please (a) read it and (b) 
benchmark it?  We lose a lot of time on pointless discussion otherwise.

> I'll try to come with example implementation using Error.pm and Git.pm

I don't think it's worth the time; I think I understand your point 
without an example implementation. :)

Unrelatedly, I thought we had agreement not to use Error.pm as of 
<http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.version-control.git/83267/focus=83348> 
(though Git.pm still does use Error.pm, so it can still be used as long 
as there's no patch that removes all instances of it).  I got *really* 
weird unreproduceable errors when throwing exceptions with Error.pm in 
gitweb, and I suspect that Error.pm (perhaps in interaction with some 
other module) was to blame.  Just a warning. ;-)

-- Lea