Subject: Re: git svn --add-author-from implies --use-log-author

From: Mircea Bardac <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2008 22:22:58 +0100

Avery Pennarun wrote:
> You can set config options for these, however:
> 
> git config svn.addAuthorFrom true
> git config svn.useLogAuthor true
> 
> (I actually use "git config --global" to set these on my system so
> they apply to all my git-svn repositories.)

Oh great. This is what I actually wanted. Makes a lot more sense to have 
them as (global) variables.

My initial thought was that there are (somewhere) some variables being 
set for the repository by using --add-author-from and --use-log-author 
with "git svn clone ...". I find this quite intuitive (and maybe this 
should be default?). I can't see a reason for using these options once 
and not using them later, but it might just be me.

>>  P.S. I am very curious why using From and not Signed-off-by. I had the
>> feeling that Signed-off-by is being used to also mark the path of a patch.
>> Also, is there a centralized list of all the ways a patch can be "marked"
> 
> Signed-off-by is a legal declaration.  Please read the documentation
> carefully before using it.
> 
> From: is automatically added (when you enable the option and there's
> no Signed-off-by or From already) and is just informational.

I have found that Documentation/SubmittingPatches contains info on how 
to use "Signed-off-by:"/"Acked-by:"/a little bit of "From:" but, as far 
as I remember, others have been/are used. Are they all gathered 
somewhere, as recommendations?

Many thanks.

-- 
Mircea
http://mircea.bardac.net