Subject: Re: [PATCH v8] gitweb: add test suite with Test::WWW::Mechanize::CGI

From: Lea Wiemann <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2008 02:30:44 +0200

Jakub Narebski wrote:
> some time ago I have send a patch which converted support for
> links with hash and without action to use redirect instead of
> silently filling correct action based on type of object [...]
> IMHO it is better as it should prevent bookmarking "expensive" URL.

Haha, I'd actually suggest the opposite. ;-)  Figuring out the right
action is almost free since you have to fetch the object anyways, so I
doubt it'll make any difference performance-wise (though it'd be
interesting to benchmark this).  However, gitweb's URLs are
prohibitively long -- so that nobody uses them in email --, and
(automatically?) dropping the action parameter where possible would be a
good first step to shortening them.  Another idea would be to shorten
the hashes.

>> there are links to line numbers that don't exist
> 
> I wonder if those are intentional (or at least known) breaking, to form
> approximate blame file history browsing;

*nods*  I wasn't following this in detail; if it turns out to be
unfixable, we could also remove the fragment checks for line numbers
(rather than running them as "TODO:" tests).

> [Git::Commit:] you should not error out on unknown header in commit object,

Unless this can actually happen in practice, I'd rather die aggressively
-- it prevents errors (like cache hiccups) slipping through unnoticed.