Subject: Re: [PATCH 3/3] git-branch -v: show the remote tracking statistics

From: Johannes Sixt <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 Jul 2008 10:23:33 +0200

Junio C Hamano schrieb:
> This teaches "git branch -v" to insert the remote tracking statistics in
> the form of [ours/theirs] just before the one-liner commit log message
> for the branch.
> 
> Signed-off-by: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
> ---
>   ... which means that you would see something like this.
> 
>   * jc/report-tracking        41666f7 [3/117] git-branch -v: show the remo...
> 
>   I did not think we want to spend extra columns to show the name of
>   remote branch each of them tracks, so I am showing only counts.

What makes the "tracking statistics" so useful, is that it explains the
situation in clear words. But here you throw in a few numbers without
explanation. It's practically undiscoverable what the numbers mean.
Therefore, I personally would prefer not to have them here and to save the
space for the commit summary.

What do you think about showing the tracking information only if --track
is supplied? But then even write more information:

* jc/report-tracking   41666f7 diverged 3 vs. 117
  foo                  1234567 behind 22
  bar                  fedcba9 ahead 6

and filter the output to show only tracking branches.

-- Hannes