Subject: Re: How do I stop git enumerating my working directory

From: Paul Gardiner <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 Jul 2008 15:51:04 +0100

Matthieu Moy wrote:
> Paul Gardiner <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
>> I don't think I can make .gitignore files do the job, because
>> it seems that you can set up to ignore a whole directory,
>> and then partially countermand that by placing a .gitignore
>> file (containing ! commands) inside the directory.
> 
> To me, it seems the opposite ;-).
> 
> I just tried to "git init" my $HOME, then "git status" takes forever,
> but "echo '*' > .gitignore; git status" completes immediately.

Ok, I was confusing myself because of having added files inside
subdirectories of the ignored directory.  I'm glad it works the
way it does. Makes much more sense than what I'd thought it was
doing.

P.