Subject: Re: [PATCH 06/12] connect: Fix custom ports with plink (Putty's ssh)

From: "Edward Z. Yang" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 04 Jul 2008 16:05:48 -0400

> Sorry, that argument does not fly.  "My patch is better, because I did not 
> test your patch."

Just tested, the patch works.

> That is so totally untrue.  We have Perl scripts and Shell scripts (for 
> which we need the bash), and then we have the two GUIs which use Tcl/Tk.

I came up with that conclusion by grepping the Git source code for the 
word bash; no results. Granted, it's still a null point because the 
proposed script doesn't use any bash-specific features.

> Further, would you like to convert and maintain all people's wrapper 
> scripts to C code inside Git?

I was under the impression that wrapper scripts were for fleshing out 
new APIs and implementing non-performance critical functionality, 
without all the overhead of writing in C. There is little to no overhead 
from this patch.

Anyway, Johannes still makes some pretty compelling points for the 
wrapper script, so you can count me +1 for the wrapper.

> BTW what is the reason why Hannes' mail does not appear to be the mail 
> you replied to in GMane, but the patch Steffen sent?

I actually did a "Reply" and so he was the only one who got the email at 
first. Then I resent it to the list, as well as the other CC'ed people.

(Thus my comment at the bottom)