Subject: Re: "make test" works again (sort-of) on cygwin.

From: Ramsay Jones <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 05 Jul 2008 21:09:31 +0100

Alex Riesen wrote:
> Ramsay Jones, Thu, Jul 03, 2008 19:44:28 +0200:
> 
>> Anyhow, the "sort-of" in the subject line, relates to the fact that
>> I am seeing some test failures.  In particular, all tests in
>> t0004-unwritable.sh and tests 21->24 in t3700-add.sh. All of these
>> tests involve chmod/permissions ...
> 
> Don't run "make test" as root (or "backup operator" on windows).
> OTOH, a windows machine is almost useless, unless you're a member of
> local administrators group (which includes "backup" permission).
> 

Ah, yes... I am a "Computer administator" aren't I ;-) I totally forgot!

Hmm, but is that really the reason for these failures? After all, (referring
to the example you snipped) the permissions are respected for creating
files in the directory, just not directories.  Is the "root" user on
windows only selectively omnipotent?

ATB,

Ramsay Jones