Subject: Re: [PATCH] Skip unwritable tests for root

From: Lea Wiemann <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 Jul 2008 21:14:06 +0200

Junio C Hamano wrote:
> If we were to do anything, don't we rather want to fail everything upfront
> when the tests are run by root [because it's crazy]?

I think that unless/until someone wants to submit a patch that makes the
tests fail upfront, we should use Fernando's patch; it's an improvement
over the current situation.

I'm actually not entirely sure if skipping or failing everything if the
tests are run as root is a good idea -- for instance, neither skipping
nor failing seems appropriate for Gentoo's root-in-a-sandbox situation.

Jakub Narebski wrote:
> "Fernando J. Pereda" <[email-masked]> writes:
>> +	test_expect_success '[...], skipping test' :
>> +	test_done
>> +	exit
>
> Yet another place that would profit from test_skip in test-lib.sh...

*nods*  I'd rather name it 'test_skip_all' for clarity though, at least
if it contains "test_done; exit".  (I'm not volunteering to send a
patch, FTR...)