Subject: Re: [PATCH] fix "git-submodule add a/b/c/repository"

From: Mark Levedahl <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 08 Jul 2008 19:57:43 -0400

Junio C Hamano wrote:
> Thanks.
>
> The above is quite a bit more information than I can read from
> Documentation/git-submodule.txt; care to send it in in a patch form?
>
>   
Will do, but I think it makes more sense to clean things up a bit so 
they are more explicable:

1) *require* two arguments for add: <URL> <relative-path-in-repo>
2) Remove one option for URL. Currently, we accept:
    a) absolute URL : origin is at URL
    b) top-level-relative URL (./foo | ../foo) : locates origin relative 
to top-level origin
    c) path-relative URL : locates origin relative to current working 
directory

I don't understand the use-case for item (c), and in any case it is 
easily replaced as an abolute url (e.g., $(pwd)/URL). So, I propose to 
restrict to (a) or (b) only, and reject (c).

I think these two changes in concert will reduce a lot of confusion 
without removing any real capability. Absent negative comments, I will 
prepare a patch to do this, *and* update the documentation to better 
define the options.

Mark