Subject: Re: [PATCH] gitk - work around stderr redirection on Cygwin

From: Mark Levedahl <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 13 Jul 2008 17:53:13 -0400

Junio C Hamano wrote:
> Mark Levedahl <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>   
>> Mark Levedahl wrote:
>>     
>>> Cygwin is *still* shipping with antiquated Tcl 8.4.1, and will continue
>>> to do so for the indefinite future. This version does not understand
>>> the "2>@1" redirection syntax, so such redirection of stderr must be
>>> done using sh.
>>>       
>> Ping. This bug is in 1.5.6.x, and thus also in the current Cygwin git
>> release: as a result, several gitk context menu items cause
>> errors. (Let me know if I should resend the patch).
>>     
>
> In the meantime, is it an option to apply this as a port specific patch
> when Cygwin and whichever distribution ship with old Tcl package their
> binary releases?
>
> Just checking how urgent this issue is (8.4.1 was from Oct 2002 if I am
> not mistaken) for maintainers of Cygwin port, and I am suspecting that
> kernel folks are somewhat busy near/around OLS/KS timeframe (but not me).
>
>   
(I didn't trim the message as I've copied the Cygwin git maintainer).

I certainly have this patch in my tree so the folks I supply git to who 
use Cygwin have this patch. The question of whether to maintain this out 
of tree for the official Cygwin release is up to Eric.

Mark