Subject: Re: [PATCH 3/3] gitweb: use new Git::Repo API, and add optional caching

From: Lea Wiemann <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2008 03:50:10 +0200

Johannes Schindelin wrote:
> Wasn't the main page (i.e. the projects list) the reason why kernel.org 
> has its own little caching mechanism in the first place?
> 
> And did Pasky not report recently that repo.or.cz got substantially less 
> loaded with some caching of its own?

Yes, you need *some* caching mechanism.  Once you have that, it's fine,
at least if the page cache is hot.  (The x-thousand stat calls that my
caching implementation issues don't actually take that much time; I
suspect the ~1000 calls to memcached are the more expensive [and
optimizable] part, though I'd have to benchmark that.)

Mainline vs. my caching implementation (both with hot page cache) on
odin3.kernel.org:

$ time wget -qO/dev/null http://localhost/git-lewiemann/vanilla/
real    0m3.070s
$ time wget -qO/dev/null http://localhost/git-lewiemann/
real    0m0.719s