Subject: Re: [PATCH 0/6] archive: refactor and cleanup

From: René Scharfe <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2008 09:49:35 +0200

Lea Wiemann schrieb:
> René Scharfe wrote:
>> This series is a collection of cleanups for git archive
> 
> A few things:
> 
> * The note quoted above probably shouldn't be in the commit message but
> after the "---".

Since it's in the zeroth message, it's not intended to be committed.

> * You patch messages seem to be In-Reply-To a message that wasn't posted
> on the list, not to PATCH 0/6.

Hmm, that's strange.  Won't happen next time, though.

> * Unless you have a specific reason, I suggest that you don't Cc Junio
> on patches; he reads all messages on this list (more or less) and will
> usually simply apply your patches once they're reviewed.  (Watch for his
> periodical "What's cooking in git.git" messages to see if he got them.)

We're both wrong, quoth Documentation/SubmittingPatches:

    Note that your maintainer does not necessarily read everything
    on the git mailing list.  If your patch is for discussion first,
    send it "To:" the mailing list, and optionally "cc:" him.  If it
    is trivially correct or after the list reached a consensus, send
    it "To:" the maintainer and optionally "cc:" the list.

Obviously, my patches weren't trivially correct nor a consensus reached.

> * And most importantly, your Thunderbird introduced line-breaks, so it's
> not possible to apply the patches.  May I suggest you use git-send-email
> instead?

Well, it is possible to send usable patches with Thunderbird, using the
extension Toggle Word Wrap.  Patches 1 and 3 are damaged because I
edited them again to correct a typo -- with word wrap accidentally on.

Trying git-send-email again is a good idea, though.

> Feel free to ping me on IRC (lea_w in #git) if you need help.

I've slacked long enough to become a complete noob again.  Oh, well.

Thanks,
René