Subject: Re: [PATCH 0/5] replacement for the part of js/more-win that is in pu

From: Johannes Sixt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2008 09:59:48 +0200

Johannes Sixt schrieb:
> The interdiff to js/more-win is below. It is mostly the changes
> of 1/5.
> 
> Johannes Sixt (5):
>       Makefile: Normalize $(bindir) and $(gitexecdir) before comparing
>       Record the command invocation path early
>       Fix relative built-in paths to be relative to the command
>          invocation
>       Allow the built-in exec path to be relative to the command
>          invocation path
>       Allow add_path() to add non-existent directories to the path

I retract this series and also the earlier version (the part that is in pu).

If I had done due diligence, I could have found out earlier that it does
not solve the problem it tried to solve. Appologies for the noise. :-(

The series tries to derive the exec-path from argv[0] (if the built-in
path is relative). But if a command is invoked from CMD on Windows,
argv[0] doesn't have a path, there is only the program name, "git.exe". In
the past, we relied on the global variable _pgmptr (only Windows's C
runtime has this), which does contain the full path, and if we set

   gitexecdir = $(bindir)

in the Makefile, then we get a working git.exe, but we put back all
commands into $PATH.

-- Hannes