Subject: Re: Considering teaching plumbing to users harmful

From: Jesper Eskilson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2008 19:50:36 +0200

Johannes Schindelin wrote:

> Now, it makes me really, really sad that Git has a reputation of being 
> complicated, but I regularly hear from _my_ users that they do not 
> understand how that came about.

Well, Git is not the easiest tool on the market to learn. For people 
used to centralized systems such as RCS/CVS/Subversion, many concepts 
are truly alien. I've recently experienced a transition at our company 
from MKS/SI (a RCS derivative) to Subversion, and the mental gap was for 
many users HUGE. Had we done the transition from MKS/SI to Git, I'm sure 
  several user's brains would have exploded.

 From my perspective, the concept I found most difficult to grasp at the 
very beginning was how the index worked, and many of the introductory 
texts on Git that I looked through only very brielfy explained the 
purpose of the index: Why is it there? Why is it called "index"? How 
does it fit into a typical workflow? Having a CVS/Subversion background, 
it took a while for me to really assimilate the concept.

-- 
/Jesper