Subject: Re: Considering teaching plumbing to users harmful

From: Peter Valdemar Mørch <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2008 15:35:22 +0200

Theodore Tso tytso-at-mit.edu |Lists| wrote:
> The top-level man page has a listing of what is porcelain and what is
> plumbing --- although there is some disagreement.

Cool! I missed that! Thanks.

> Have you taken a look at the intro-level materials such as "Everyday
> Git in 20 commands or so"[1], the git tutorial[2], the official "Git's
> User Manual"[3], or the "Git-SVN crash course"[4]?

Yup. I started there and am happily coding, committing, branching & 
merging away. Now man pages are closest to my fingers in the terminal. :-)

E.g. something I seem to succeed with sometimes, but not consistently is 
the equivalent of "svn revert -R .". "git help reset"? Yup: "git reset 
--hard HEAD ." When I run into merge conflicts, I'll probably look at 
such a doc again, but other than that I'll probably use man pages most.

Just wanted to offer the newbie's opinion, that it would be helpful for 
me with "Here be plumbing. Newbies look elsewhere" notices when I'm on 
my way down the wrong track.

Peter
-- 
Peter Valdemar Mørch
http://www.morch.com