Subject: Re: [PATCH 0/4] Honor core.deltaBaseCacheLimit during index-pack

From: Stephan Hennig <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2008 18:06:28 +0200

Shawn O. Pearce schrieb:

> We're better off keeping our memory usage low and recomputing
> the delta base when we need to return to it to process a sibling.

Thanks to all who have had a look at this issue!  From a user's
perspective I have one more suggestions and a question:

First, it would have helped me to bring this issue onto the list if I
had earlier known that this was no misconfiguration, but a memory
problem.  Even though Git now makes some efforts to substitute runtime
for memory to be able to operate with low(er) memory, I think it would
still be informative for a user that repository and hardware, resp.
core.deltaBaseCacheLimit, are, say, incompatible.  If valuable objects
have to be discarded due to memory restrictions a warning could be
issued to make the user aware of this fact, e.g.,

  Warning! Low memory. Git might be slowing down.

Second, while there have been some changes to Git now, as a poor user,
how can I make use of that changes?  I think, updating my client should
only help with pushing.  For pulling, I have to wait for repo.or.cz to
update to Git 1.6.0, right?

Best regards,
Stephan Hennig