Subject: Re: git pull versus fetch/merge

From: Rene Herman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2008 12:58:10 +0200

On 21-07-08 12:23, Björn Steinbrink wrote:

> Your fetch/merge approach was different from what your pull approach 
> did. tiwai/devel did not get updated by the fetch, which means that
> you tried to merge the old state of that branch and that caused some 
> conflicts. OTOH the pull did fetch the latest state from the remote
> repo and merged that cleanly.
> 
> Your fetch/merge approach was more like "git pull" without any 
> arguments, but with the current branch setup to track tiwai/devel. In
> that case, pull really does a "git fetch tiwai", and it should fail
> in the same way.

Thank you. Also due to a reply on the ALSA list by Mark brown I now get 
this. Yes, the remote was rebased while I had it setup as a remote here 
it seems; only recently have it under this name, so I didn't think that 
was the case. After a "git remote rm tiwai, git remote add tiwai <url>" 
things work fine again as it fetched a completely new branch.

Hurray for rebasing public trees. This specific branch should be rebased 
only at every kernel release so I guess it's okay. I guess I can just do
the git pull always, or the fetch every time and let the reject warn me 
that it was rebased after which I'll do the remote rm/add thing again.

Many thanks for the concrete description of what goes on. Made it obvious.

Rene.