Subject: Re: git pull versus fetch/merge

From: Rene Herman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2008 13:30:12 +0200

On 21-07-08 13:09, Jeff King wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 21, 2008 at 12:58:10PM +0200, Rene Herman wrote:
> 
>> Thank you. Also due to a reply on the ALSA list by Mark brown I now get  
>> this. Yes, the remote was rebased while I had it setup as a remote here  
>> it seems; only recently have it under this name, so I didn't think that  
>> was the case. After a "git remote rm tiwai, git remote add tiwai <url>"  
>> things work fine again as it fetched a completely new branch.
> 
> Note that adding the remote with "git remote add" will add a fetchspec
> line like this:
> 
> [remote "tiwai"]
>   fetch = +refs/heads/*:+refs/remotes/tiwai/*
> 
> where the '+' means to force fetching rewound branches instead of
> rejecting them (this is safe, since you are just overwriting tracking
> branches, not your local work).

Not here...

rene@7ixe4:~/src/linux/7ixe4$ git remote add tmp 
git://git.alsa-project.org/alsa-kernel.git
rene@7ixe4:~/src/linux/7ixe4$ tail -3 .git/config 

[remote "tmp"]
	url = git://git.alsa-project.org/alsa-kernel.git
	fetch = refs/heads/*:refs/remotes/tmp/*
rene@7ixe4:~/src/linux/7ixe4$ git --version
git version 1.5.5

> So this should not come up again; presumably your previous remote
> configuration was set up differently.

Must be something new or configuration dependent I presume? It's not an 
option to git-remote it seems (but yes, thanks, I guess I'll add the +s 
-- a failed merge is warning enough that I need to rebuild whatever 
branch I'm pulling it into I guess).

Rene.