Subject: Re: [PATCH] Respect crlf attribute even if core.autocrlf has not been set

From: Joshua Jensen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2008 12:04:44 -0600

----- Original Message -----
From: Johannes Schindelin
Date: 7/23/2008 11:22 AM
> On msys we do that.  A few users decided they know better and switched it 
> off.  Me for example.  But I wouldn't do something as stupid as editing a 
> file with an editor that tries to be helpful and adds CR/LFs.
>   
There are certain file formats, such as a Visual Studio .sln file, that 
MUST be CRLF.  When a .sln file is not CRLF, Visual Studio refuses to 
read it.  I want to be able to set into the committed .gitattributes 
file the list of files that must be translated to the proper format 
regardless of the autocrlf setting.  An example is below:

*.bat crlf
*.def crlf
*.dsp crlf
*.dsw crlf
*.rc crlf
*.sln crlf
*.vcproj crlf
*.vcp crlf
*.vcw crlf

I'm not sure your patch was intended to accomplish the forced crlf 
settings above, but certainly, this functionality would be useful, if 
not critical.

Thanks.

Josh