Subject: Re: markdown 2 man, was Re: Git Community Book

From: Abdelrazak Younes <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 01 Aug 2008 09:11:16 +0200

Junio C Hamano wrote:
> Abdelrazak Younes<[email-masked]>  writes:
>
>    
>> I just had a look at the user manual and, well unless you have a
>> special emacs mode or whatever that can automate the markup tag
>> insertion, I wonder how can anybody think that writing with this
>> markup language is easier than within LyX, really (genuine question,
>> not sarcasm).
>>      
>
> How greppable and "log -p"-able is the documentation written in LyX?
>    

LyX format is plain text, loosely based on LateX. Here's attached a 
sample .lyx file FYI. We have one tag per line and a maximum of 80 char 
per line so that the format is easily parsable. Advanced users often use 
unix tools (grep, sed, etc) to modify the .lyx file manually.

>   * Where in the documentation do I have to change the description of
>     "--parents" option?
>    

You mean in a text editor, not within LyX? Just look for the string :-)

>   * When did the description of "--cc" for diff families last changed, by
>     whom and why?
>    

Ditto.

> Eas of doing these is mostly why we chose AsciiDoc to begin with.  Any
> alternative you are going to suggest should not make these two things
> impossible or very harder to do.
>    

If you ignore the LyX tags, you can just do what you are used to do 
without problem using a plain text editor. If you want to do something 
more complicated stuff like choosing a different environment or creating 
a nested enumerate list, it is easier to do that within LyX.

Abdel.