Subject: Re: More on git over HTTP POST

From: "H. Peter Anvin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 03 Aug 2008 04:31:13 -0700

Shawn O. Pearce wrote:
> 
> But from the client side perspective the chunked transfer encoding
> is used only to avoid generating in advance and producing the
> content-length header.  I fully expect the encoding to disappear
> (e.g. in a proxy, or in the HTTP client library) before any sort
> of Git code gets its fingers on the data.
> 
> Hence to your other remark, I _do not_ rely upon the encoding
> boundaries to remain intact.  That is why there is Git pkt-line
> encodings inside of the HTTP data stream.  We can rely on the
> pkt-line encoding being present, even if the HTTP chunks were
> moved around (or removed entirely) by a proxy.
> 

Excellent.  I did not mean that as criticism, obviously, I just wanted 
that to be clear.

HTTP/1.1 does chunked encoding, and HTTP/1.0 does terminate on 
connection close; both serve the same purpose.

	-hpa