Subject: Re: Add Git-aware CGI for Git-aware smart HTTP transport

From: "H. Peter Anvin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2008 08:41:43 -0700

Shawn O. Pearce wrote:
> 
> Hmm.  So what if the "smart" protocol used a redirect to the CGI
> and the dumb protocol didn't use any redirects at all?  I say this
> because I think the dumb protocol won't handle redirects well.
> It will do them, but it would incur a redirect on every request
> it makes.
> 

That's preferrable anyway, in my opinion.

> Setting this up on a server which doesn't have the power of mod_regex
> available would be tricky, as you need to link the CGI into every
> single repository you are serving.  I don't know (or use) many other
> HTTP servers beyond Apache so I'm not sure if they can do this.

Many can, and even more can if we instead of git-http-backend had 
something which looked vaguely like a unique extension, like 
"backend.git-http"

	-hpa