Subject: Re: [PATCH 1/3] Git.pm: Add faculties to allow temp files to be cached

From: Lea Wiemann <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2008 00:28:18 +0200

Junio C Hamano wrote:
> Lea Wiemann <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
>> Marcus Griep wrote:
>>> +require File::Spec;
>> This makes Git.pm dependent on Perl 5.6.1.

Ouch, I misquoted.  It's File::Temp that was introduced in Perl 5.6.1,
not File::Spec.  (I think it's probably save to assume that File::Spec
[added in 5.4.5] is available everywhere.)

> Hmm, wouldn't something like this (untested) be more contained?

Uh, sorry for making you write unnecessary code.  Replicating File::Temp
functionality is probably a bit too tricky because of temp-file safety,
though I haven't checked the code.  It's probably not worth the effort
anyway; I was really just concerned about not having the test suite fail
in the 0.1% of cases where someone doesn't have Perl >5.6.1.

Also, adding "use 5.006001" may help with erroring out with a proper
error message for older perl versions.  I'll send a follow-up to this
message.

-- Lea