Subject: Re: [PATCH 2] count-objects: add human-readable size option

From: Marcus Griep <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2008 12:42:00 -0400

Petr Baudis wrote:
> I'm confused - you didn't seem to really address my suggestion. Is there
> a good reason _not_ to go with the /.iB/ prefixes, and just forget about
> SI? Who is ever going to need SI?

It's more of a not limiting support, but in the spirit of YAGNI, I can
forget about SI until we find some reason to actually want it, and then
add it at that point.

As for the /.iB/ prefixes, other than the actual magnitude prefix, 'iB',
'B', 'bps', etc. would be supplied as a suffix by the consumer so as not
to assume that we will be formatting bytes or widgets, since conceivably
you may want to know that there are 203k objects (which would be an SI
use) or are transferring at a rate of 1.6k blobs/s.

In which case, it might be preferable to leave the SI in, since it would
allow more than just bytes to be formatted in shorter, human-readable
form.

-- 
Marcus Griep
GPG Key ID: 0x5E968152
——
http://www.boohaunt.net
את.ψο´