Subject: Re: [GSoC] What is status of Git's Google Summer of Code 2008 projects?

From: Lea Wiemann <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2008 21:38:53 +0200

Jakub Narebski wrote:
> 3. Gitweb caching
> 
> Student: Lea Wiemann
> Mentor: John 'warthog' Hawley
> 
> There are new tests for gitweb (to check if caching would not break 
> anything new: it did caught a few breakages), new object Perl API to 
> git, and gitweb caching implemented using caching data at the level 
> slightly above calling git commands.  But full code (tests, Perl API 
> and changes to gitweb) are only after first, maybe second round of 
> review.

Correct.  I'm planning to post the next round of patches tonight or
tomorrow.  The remaining to-do items are:

1. We'll still have to have some discussion wrt. what to do about the
API and what status it should have -- Petr (and you as well?) complained
about missing command-line calling functionality.

2. I'll run benchmarks under various conditions, to measure how much
performance we gain with caching, and under what conditions it is most
beneficial.

3. Optional, but with some real performance benefits: Add support for
Last-Modified/If-Modified-Since.

4. Deploy on kernel.org (though John will have to do some/most of this,
and it'll take time beyond the pencils-down deadline I expect).

> Student retention: unknown.

Well, on the downside, I'm expecting to be pretty busy with college, so
there won't be much time to do substantial work on git or gitweb.  On
the upside, I feel perfectly comfortable with contributing to git (i.e.,
maintaining my own patch queue, sending patches, etc.), so it's very
much possible that at some point I'll be hacking git or gitweb again.

-- Lea