Subject: Dumb "continuous" commit dumb question

From: Pat LeSmithe <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2008 20:47:47 -0700

Hello,

Is it possible to enable git to automatically and continuously "softly"
commit or stage *all* changes to a [subset of] files in a repository,
without my intervention, as they happen?  Perhaps via a daemon which
monitors the disk for explicit file-saving?

Of course, I would still be able to perform explicit commits (with
descriptive comments) and other git commands, in which case there
probably should be smart handling of the recent soft history.  For
example, it could simply be discarded.

I understand that I could simply remember to commit and/or branch early
and often.  But given that changes by an individual on a given branch
are well-ordered by time, and that the "continuous" operation may be
cheap in many situations, a "live" journal could be useful.

Perhaps a better term is branch-aware undo or git with microstructure.

Sorry if this is old stuff or plain crap.

Thanks.

Sincerely,
Pat LeSmith