Subject: Re: git-cvsimport - losing changes in subsequent pulls of a CVS branch that I thought I wasn't modifying in the GIT repo.

From: Michael Haggerty <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2008 08:24:25 +0200

Pete/Piet Delaney wrote:
> I'm running into a problem with git-cvsimport.  [...]
> 
> I'll take another stab at it tomarrow. Any thoughts or
> recommendations appreciated.

If this is a one-time conversion (i.e., you don't need to actively track
a live CVS repository), then I suggest that you try cvs2svn/cvs2git [1].
 It can migrate to git via a git-fast-import output stream [2].  All
cvsps-based tools necessarily have problems because cvsps (a) doesn't
output enough information for a reliable conversion and (b) gets
confused by certain patterns that commonly occur in CVS repository
histories.  cvs2svn can handle every CVS repository that we have seen
and is also highly configurable [3].

Michael

[1] http://cvs2svn.tigris.org/
[2] http://cvs2svn.tigris.org/cvs2git.html
[3] http://cvs2svn.tigris.org/features.html