Subject: managing git submodules with git-svn

From: Rick Moynihan <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2008 10:35:36 +0100

Hi all,

We are currently using a mixture of git and svn to manage a project with 
an array of subprojects.  We use git primarily for its excellent 
branching and merging support, and as a means of more effectively 
managing commits etc...  We're not yet ready to make the leap entirely 
to git and find subversion still has a role, primarily due to some 3rd 
party upstream (e.g. Apache) projects using svn.  SVN is also better 
supported by some of our tools/systems.

Our project is made up of a number of subprojects, and I'd like to use 
git submodules to easily track and lock changes in component versions. 
git submodules appear to do exactly this, versioning the meta-repo with 
each subproject locked at a specific commit/SHA-1.

My question is; is there anyway to easily do this but have git use 
git-svn manage the submodule?  I think this makes sense and suspect it 
would be possible to do, though it looks like it's currently not a 
feature.  Is this a feature anyone else would find useful?

Thanks again,

R.