Subject: Re: [PATCH 3/3] git-add --intent-to-add (-N)

From: Paolo Bonzini <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2008 16:23:52 +0200

Junio C Hamano wrote:
> This adds "--intent-to-add" option to "git add".  This is to let the
> system know that you will tell it the final contents to be staged later,
> iow, just be aware of the presense of the path with the type of the blob
> for now.

While I like intent_* in the variables, what about "git add --path FILE" 
for the user interface?  Also, I wonder if it would be good to restrict 
"git add --path" to paths not already in the index, and give an error 
otherwise.

As I said elsewhere in the thread, I wouldn't use this feature (I keep a 
"git citool" window open to review my own changes, when I have to deal 
with new files), but I applaud its introduction.

> Then you can do:
> 
>     $ git commit -a ;# commit everything
> 
> or
> 
>     $ git commit oldfile ;# only oldfile, newfile not yet added

Did you mean "git commit" for the second use case?

Paolo