Subject: Re: Suggestion: "man git clone"

From: Federico Lucifredi <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2008 17:49:51 -0400

Hello HP,
  I have seen this in (funnily enough) a project I manage myself, which 
has subcommands structured similarly to Git.

  I have looked at options, but so far the current behavior (man 
foo-bar) seems the best option for foo's subcommand bar. The 
alternative, also acceptable, is a large page with subsections for each 
command. Sections (man 1) are used for chapter-like page groupings, not 
for subsections on a single command - those would have to be implemented 
as an additional layer.

  But, as another participant in the thread has commented, that would 
not port to other platforms very quickly (although it would get to Linux 
and OS-X promptly, and may eventually make its way into other platforms).

  I am open to ideas, but so far the two options above are better than 
anything else that has been so far suggested...

  Best -F

H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> Given the recent change of "git-foo" to "git foo", it would be really 
> nice if one could type, for example:
> 
>     man git clone
> 
> and actually get the man page for the git clone command.  There are 
> quite a few other pieces of software which also could benefit from that 
> kind of indirection.
> 
> Right now the above command shows the man page git(1) followed by 
> clone(2), which I believe has be classified as utterly useless behaviour...
> 
>     -hpa

-- 

_________________________________________
-- "'Problem' is a bleak word for challenge" - Richard Fish
(Federico L. Lucifredi) - http://www.lucifredi.com