Subject: Re: Gittogether event?

From: Andreas Ericsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2008 20:58:06 +0200

Petr Baudis wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 22, 2008 at 07:34:07AM -0700, Shawn O. Pearce wrote:
>>> If Git-together happens outside of that, I could join.
>> I think it would be after that.  I doubt we could put it together
>> with <30 days of notice.  Most people who would want to attend need
>> to book travel arrangements.  While its possible with 30 days notice
>> you can typically get better rates if you have more lead time.
> 
> Also, if this event would indeed be in US, some of the developers would
> need to arrange visa, which takes time too (though the time can vary,
> reportedly - but 30 days should be enough).
> 
> I'm slightly discouraged by the idea of getting the visa, which is
> reportedly exhausting process involving handing over huge amount of
> personal information to US government etc.  But I might wind up having
> to travel to US sooner or later anyway, so I guess it's not a
> deal-breaker for me.
> 

I'm not sure where you're from, but quite a few countries who are
members of the european union are also member of the visa waiver
program and don't need visas to visit the us unless they:
* have been suspected of a crime in the past 10 years (not only
  convicted, suspected is enough)
* are first-generation immigrants
* could in some really, really far-fetched way be suspected to be
  related to be connected to one of the several hundred thousand
  terrorist organizations around the world

Check with your american embassy. They're quite friendly, provided
you don't call them before american business hours have started. I
believe it's something of a conundrum in china and australia, but
perhaps the embassies there make special arrangements.

-- 
Andreas Ericsson                   [email-masked]
OP5 AB                             www.op5.se
Tel: +46 8-230225                  Fax: +46 8-230231